CLIMACT presents its 2023 call for abstracts dedicated to early-career researchers from UNIL and EPFL. Would you like to present your research to a broad audience, promote your work and get useful feedback from peers? Here is an opportunity for you that runs until 27 March 2023!
All the information related to the call for abstracts can be found below and downloaded as a PDF here.
The Center for Climate Impact and Action (CLIMACT) is a joint center between the Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and the University of Lausanne (UNIL) designed to foster interdisciplinary and interinstitutional research and implementation activities that address the social, scientific, and technological challenges associated with climate change and a sustainable future.
CLIMACT is opening a competitive call for abstracts aimed at selecting a number of early-career researchers (ECRs) to present their research within a special edition of the CLIMACT seminar series “A Climate of Transformation”. Opened not only to the CLIMACT Scholars (ECRs involved in CLIMACT’s activities) but to all ECRs affiliated to UNIL and EPFL, this special seminar is the perfect occasion to feature ECR research. It will highlight their contributions to the field of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as to the transformation to a sustainable and inclusive society. The researchers selected for this seminar will benefit from increased visibility and a broad interdisciplinary audience with which to have constructive discussions during the seminar. With this call for abstracts, CLIMACT is committed to contributing positively to ECR careers.
The special edition of the seminar will be held on Monday 22 May 2023.
- The call is open to EPFL and UNIL ECRs active in climate change and sustainability related topics. The following career stages are considered as ECRs:
- PhD students
- Postdocs (maximum three years since PhD, excluding health and family related time off)
- Applicants should be affiliated to UNIL and/or EPFL at the time of submission.
- Research topics should broadly be related to climate change adaptation, mitigation and/or to a sustainable and inclusive society.
Criteria of evaluation
Each application will be evaluated and scored by a committee of senior scientists and CLIMACT Scholars appointed by CLIMACT. The evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the research to the call’s topic (33%): How strong is the link between the applicant’s research and the call’s topic: “Climate change mitigation and adaptation and, if applicable, sustainability”?
- Impact of the research (33%): Please explain succinctly what the positive outlooks are and/or results of the research in terms of benefits to society, scientific impact and/or innovation.
- Relevance of the topic in a broader scientific context (33%): What are the links between the research and other fields of research, in an interdisciplinary context?
How to apply
Please note that applicants must meet all formal requirements. Failing that, their application will not be considered.
*A portrait photo is necessary for the communication of the seminar.
Decisions will be announced in early May 2023. We kindly ask applicants to remain available on the date of the seminar until the announcement of the selected speakers.
Details regarding the talks (i.e., length, visual support, etc.) will be provided to the successful applicants. The presentations will take place on Monday 22 May, during the timeslot of the CLIMACT seminar (12:00-13:15). In the case of a high number of excellent applications, CLIMACT will organise a second special seminar dedicated to selected ECRs in the Fall semester of 2023.
If you have any questions or need any help preparing your proposal, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal opportunity statement
We, at CLIMACT, believe in fair treatment of all applicants and our approach is shaped by a strong respect for each individual. We see diversity and inclusion as central to our organisation. Our approach applies to our funding instruments, call for abstracts and all other activities and events.